Etiquette is defined as the formal manners and rules that are followed in social or professional settings. Etiquette is merely a set of guidelines for politeness and good manners, the kindnesses with which we should always treat each other. It will always matter!
Etiquette, the network of rules that govern good behaviour and our social and business interactions, is always evolving and changing as society changes. It reflects our cultural norms, generally accepted ethical codes, and the rules of various groups we belong to. It helps us show respect and consideration to others and makes others glad that we are with them.
Etiquette in Today's Society
- Etiquette provides personal security. Knowing how to behave appropriately in a given situation makes you more comfortable.
- It protects the feelings of others. Proper etiquette requires that you make others comfortable and protect their feelings. You do not point out their errors or draw attention to their mistakes.
- It makes communication clearer. Etiquette enhances communication by breaking down barriers, not erecting them.
- It will enhance your status at work. In any working situation, you are perceived as more capable, more professional, and more intelligent if you are familiar with the proper code of conduct for the workplace.
- It makes good first impressions. The first five to seven seconds after you meet someone are crucial. Your first impression lingers in the other person’s mind long after you are gone. If you use proper etiquette, that first impression will be a positive one.
GOOD MANNERS AND MANNERS – WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?
Good manners are a part of good morals, and we get it through by education, knowledge and lastly from our surroundings like home, school etc. Good manners are the art of making those around us easy and comfortable. Good manners should always begin at home. Politeness is not a jewel or cloth to be worn in all dress only to be put on, in spite of that it is that vision which everybody should have in their language, behaviour and off course in their attitude.
Manners are different in every country, but true politeness and impact can be seen everywhere the same way. A person who is carrying goodness within him/herself, have always been dressed up in good manners and etiquettes. There is no policy like politeness- and a good manner is the best thing in the world to get a good name and valuable recognition.
WHY IS ETIQUETTE IMPORTANT?
The importance of etiquette now has to do more with kindness and making others feel comfortable. True politeness isn’t thinly veiled rudeness, it’s authentically treating others with sincerity regardless of who they are and how they behave back.
Etiquette includes a wide range of behaviours, including kindness, consideration, elegance, style, and decorum. Etiquette exists to make everyone’s lives easier – including your own. When you know what rules to follow, you feel more at ease and are able to focus your attention fully on the people around you. Treating others with courtesy, kindness and respect is vital if you want to succeed in today’s competitive world.
It’s a fascinating way of understanding all the similarities and differences between your country and another’s; a powerful way of boosting your confidence and self-esteem; of making others feel more comfortable around you and learning good etiquette can even be an incredibly useful boost to your future career prospects!